29.6.10

thank you, thank you!

i've been strolling around teh nets, enjoying other bloggers' posts about the from the tongue opening. thanks especially to nicole, who recognized and hugged me within five seconds of me walking in the door and calmed my nerves and set the tone for the whole evening, joetta (i don't think i've ever been called an "energetic force" before in my entire life! how cool is that?) and ellen - don't we look so happy??! 'cause we were!! and laila who took a break from lai grai to come see! i met and ogled the work of a number of other artists but i am challenged to write more without cliches.



btw seeing other bloggy pics taken with the new iphone has sorta convinced me that the hordes of people waiting outside the pei-like apple store in nyc weren't completely insane. my iphone pics are, for once, not shaken in shake it! or stirred in swankolab, which probably shows my waning fascination with iphonography. (i couldn't help myself... color is much better now.)



but what am i rambling on about? i'm still doing some post-trip processing and puttering around the old farmhouse, and sitting with a hazy sense that *life is good*. nyc seemed so much friendlier, happier, and more humane than when i was last there thirteen years ago. and my nc home suits me so much better than that sprawling hellmouth (known as atlanta) from whence we escaped. sunday i woke up to room service cafe' creme and croissant, today i wake up to guineas hunching along outside my bedroom window. it's all so, so good.



and nothing to do with this opening or this trip, but i think that stitching has given me back my life. i've been able to re-constitute myself, stitch by stitch, and create a life i love. and it's beautiful that the stitchers i've bumped into online and admired are actually part of an incredibly supportive community. not in some cheesy community building speak, but for realz.



and thank you dear lilly for hosting us in nyc and sharing your birthday with us. and of course mum, my petite sophisticate travel trooper and medicine woman. i must stop all this gushing now. words are so powerful and so feeble, very necessary but never quite enough.

4 comments:

  1. I can feel the excitment !
    Oh I am so so happy that you are feeling like this about stitching !

    I am your number one fan and I wouldn't allow you to stop !

    x x x
    ___m___

    ReplyDelete
  2. jere, it was absolutely divine meeting you in person!!! you are one seriously charming lady and i'm so glad to have made your acquaintance, in real life nonetheless!! you've inspired me to want to pick up some sewing needles & do something with all this thread i've amassed for autowrapping!!! i have photos from the trip too, and despite my gigantor camera, i think your colors are better than mine. time to invest in an iphone & wait in line with the rest of nyc?? ;) so much love!!! let's do it again asap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mathyld, maybe soon we will get to stitch together!

    laila, you definitely should do some stitching! wouldn't some of your drawings look amazing in embroidery?

    and btw with the pics, i broke down and messed with the color in analog color: http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//www.pentacom.jp/pentacom/toycamera_analogcolor/%23buy&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8

    there are tons of fun apps to vintage your iphone pics, and i do enjoy emailing pics directly. but for shop photos and art photos, nothing beats your camera!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that was the best thing about the show! The meeting in real life of all these internet friendships, the drawing in of the web. It's definitely energizing!

    ReplyDelete