13.12.12

Violetcroft

So no pics today, but an update!  
The house has a termite bond on it, so the little buggers have already been zapped.  And tomorrow we're meeting to find the corner stakes to try to make sure where the property lines are. A survey you say?  No way, that would be too easy (and expensive).  
But one little problem is that at the back of the Violet Loop 
(a dirt road that encircles this lovely little 13 acres!)
there are some... trailers that look like they have been burnt.
As well as some pickup trucks.  Sofas and stuff.
And a house of sorts, a real charmer, it even has window panes out. 
I peeked a little in a window and do see some evidence of life 
if you count whiskey bottles (which I do).
And, there are four little dogs rush out whenever we've gone back there!
But never any lights or people...
And some of it looks to be encroaching from what we can see of the property lines on the plat.  
So I'm really looking forward to having this conversation with our new neighbor! :/  

And in the midst of all this, my facebook friends like Dani and Kristine have helped me come up with the current name of choice for this place:  Violetcroft.  
It might sound a little hoity-toity amidst the trailers, but a croft was meant to be humble.  
That's the current fave anyway, there are many others!

And tonight, we are going to look at a wood cookstove that I found on Craigslist!
Did I mention that there were no appliances in this house?
Yes, everyone thinks I am insane.
But it looks just like this one.
It's also the one that was in the movie Babe in farmer Hoggett's kitchen, or so the seller says.
I should probably pass, but I just know that then all I will see are more expensive ones in worse condition.  That's what always happens.  This is my dream stove.
And this is *so* much less than the modern equivalent of my dream stove, the Aga.   
My only hesitation is what to do with this kind of stove in the summer.  
I guess then homesteaders have an outdoor kitchen.  
But I think that except for those few brutal summer months, 
the slowness of the wood would really help me find my cooking groove.

And it looks like we will close on the 21st!!  How totally fitting.
Just in time for the rebirth of the Sun!

4 comments:

  1. I am so in love with your potential house name, stove, and the big move! I am excited for you! [and wish I still lived in NC, it would totally be doable to visit from where I was living]
    Violetcroft is a beautiful name for a homesteading paradise in the making. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those stoves look fantastic!!!

    I have a friend who grew up with a wood cook stove. His folks were chapel hill hippies and musicians that transplanted themselves to a holler north of A'ville. In college we went up there and his ma made pizza! heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when I was a young hippie living in the bush in a hand built house we had a slow combustion wood stove like the Aga in the second picture that heated our water in winter (solar in summer) it was a fabulous thing for making bread and warming the house (in northern NSW we had very mild winters sort of like your early autumn weather) in summer we would use a two burner gas stove with a big gas bottle that lived outside & would last about 18 months. We generated electricity with solar panels on the sunny days and a pelton wheel down in the gully during the wet season the power was stored in big batteries and a 400 watt inverter gave us electricity for lights, guitar amps and my glass engraving macine, it was a good life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading about your house and smiling at the same time. How exciting this is also for a mere reader like me.
    The aga, oh the aga, I had one for twenty years, I had to leave her behind when I left my husband, it is the only thing that I miss!
    A stove in the kitchen is like a heart in a body.

    ReplyDelete